One of the first lessons in cooking rice in many cultures is to wash the grains. This step rinses the rice of the excess starch on its surface, leaving behind cloudy water full of nutrients. While it’s common to discard this rice water, you may want to add it to your hair care routine for the mile-long list of its hair care benefits.
Rice is one of the staple diets in Asian food culture, thanks to its nutritional value. Made from soaking or cooking rice grains and water, it is an excellent soothing and nourishing agent for our hair and skin. If this water is included in a hair serum or hair oil as the main ingredient, it can surely improve the health of your hair and scalp.
What is Rice Water?
Rice Water is the starchy water left over when the rice is cooked or soaked. This leftover water of rice is full of healthy compounds such as amino acids, Vitamin B & E, minerals, and antioxidants that may help to make hair stronger, give shine, and keep them nourished.
Can rice water improve scalp and hair health?
If you are in the good habit of regularly washing your rice before you cook it, you may not have given much thought to the cloudy water that is discarded down the drain. This water contains a high amount of starch which helps to strengthen hair, improves its texture, and nourishes the scalp with amino acids and vitamins that lead to healthy hair. However, there is more to this magical water, which we will discuss later.
Do rice water treatments contribute to protein overload?
There is a lot of buzz in the beauty world about this water, especially when implementing this treatment into a healthy hair routine. The term “Protein Overload” relates to rice water treatments as some hair types (especially with low porosity) should avoid excessive protein treatments.
Excessive protein treatments cause an imbalance of moisture and protein in your hair, which leads to dry, brittle, and weak strands.
Benefits of using rice water for home-based hair care
Should you be saving this water from your next meal preparation for an after-dinner beauty treatment? Of course, if you want to pamper your hair strands and want healthy, black, all-shiny hair, it is crucial to incorporate this natural remedy in your hair care routine.
Here are some of the reasons that prove that water containing the nutrients of rice is a real powerhouse ingredient.
- Promotes healthy hair growth: Healthy hair growth starts with a nourished and healthy scalp. Our hair follicles initiate healthy hair growth when supplied with essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Boosts hydration: The Vitamin E present in this home remedy helps give hair and scalp hydration. In addition, it helps to unclog hair follicles which helps in providing the air it needs to make hair healthy and nourished over time.
- Repairs split ends: When you have dull, limp, and flat hair, it is often due to split ends. Water containing rice nutrients helps replenish moisture, reduce split ends, and revitalize the appearance and strength of your strands.
- Detangles hair: Applying water in hair serum or shampoo helps make the strands manageable. This water improves elasticity and eventually helps with strong, shiny, and smooth hair. Also, it prevents hair breakage.
- Protects hair health: When you rinse your hair with this protein-rich solution, it envelops your strands to create a protective layer on your scalp against environmental stressors.
- Soothes scalp irritation: As this water is starchy, it helps to improve damaged hair and can gently calm painful inflammation, irritation and treat redness.
- Cures dandruff and adds shine to hair: This fermented water has antifungal properties that eliminate dandruff and help eliminate it. Applying it as a hair mask twice a week for a few hours can help combat the issue. Following it up with a toxins-free shampoo can help you add shine to hair and make it silky smooth.
Note: If you face intense hair fall and dandruff, you can give your scalp and hair the best hair treatment with the best oil for dandruff. Consulting a hair care specialist would also help.
How to use rice water for hair?
This intensive hair treatment features a unique dual chamber that delivers two formulas in one to help you achieve the perfect protein and moisture balance for stronger and healthier hair. There are a couple of ways to use this water for hair.
- Hair Mask: Cleanse your hair with rice water thoroughly with a mild shampoo. Then, add a few drops of jojoba oil, apply and massage hair and scalp gently.
- Hair Spray: After shampooing and conditioning your hair, you can also spray water containing nutrients to deeply condition your hair.
- Rinse: Pour water that contains rice nutrients on your hair and scalp and massage it gently into the scalp and each strand of hair thoroughly.
How to get rid of dandruff?
Oiling your hair using hair oils that are well-suited for your hair and scalp could help effectively manage dandruff. For example, you can use the best oil for dandruff by Mamaearth in place of your regular hair oil.
Here are some dos and don’ts that will help you get rid of dandruff faster:
- Warm the anti-dandruff oil a bit before using it. Applying lukewarm oil to your hair enhances its absorption rate into the roots.
- Focus more on the scalp part while applying and massaging with anti-dandruff oil as it needs to be absorbed into your scalp tissues well.
- Follow your oiling routine without skipping it.
- Do not comb your hair after oiling your hair.
- Avoid stepping out after applying the oil as it attracts dirt and grime from the surroundings.
- Never use any other products such as dyes, sprays, or serums after applying oil to your hair.
- Avoid using too much oil for your scalp.
- Do not apply oil when your hair is wet.
Wrapping It Up
We suggest you revisit your hair care routine and incorporate Mamaearth Rice Wonder Water Hair Serum as it nourishes your hair. It provides a nutrient-rich treatment that can transform the health of your hair and scalp. On the other hand, if you want to treat dandruff on your hair, you can massage your scalp with the best oil for dandruff, such as Tea Tree Oil and Onion Hair Oil from Mamaearth.
It is best to hair care products from a brand that makes safe and toxin-free hair care products. Mamaearth is a plastic positive brand as the brand believes in sustainability and empowers the world to make better and more earth-friendly choices.