Wired and Bluetooth headphones with active noise cancellation are attracting more and more attention from true connoisseurs of quality music. These devices are designed for natural-born individualists who want to abstract from the outside world – they completely cut off external noise and allow you to clearly hear the speech of the interlocutor when talking on public transport.
What is needed?
Active noise-canceling headphones are a real alternative to other ways of dealing with external interference. The presence of such a system makes it possible not to completely isolate the cup, eliminating the need to increase the volume to the maximum when listening to music.
Noise-canceling headphones are used in sports and tactical disciplines, hunting, and other areas of activity. For the first time, the invention of such acoustic systems was thought about in the first half of the 20th century. The real results came much later. Officially, the first noise-canceling headphones in the headset version were already used in the 80s of the XX century, in the space and aviation industries.
Principle of operation
Active noise cancellation in headphones is based on a system that captures sounds in a certain frequency range. It copies the wave coming from the microphone, giving it the same amplitude, but using a mirrored phase. Acoustic vibrations mix, canceling each other out. The resulting effect is noise reduction.
The structure of the system is as follows.
- External microphone or pickup. It is located on the back of the earpiece.
- The electronics responsible for inverting the sound. It mirrors and sends the processed signal back to the speaker. In headphones, this role is performed by DSP processors.
- Power element. It can be a battery or a regular battery.
- It plays music in headphones in parallel with the noise reduction system.
It is worth considering that active noise cancellation only works within a certain frequency range: from 100 to 1000 Hz. That is, such noises as the rumble of passing vehicles, the whistle of the wind, and the conversations of people around are captured and eliminated.
All wireless noise cancelling earbuds systems can be divided into several categories, according to the type of their power supply and performance, and purpose. For example, they distinguish consumer models, sports (for shooting competitions), hunting, and construction. Each type allows you to completely isolate the hearing organs from the dangerous volume level for them when playing noise.
According to the type of design, there are several varieties of headphones.
- Earbuds with noise canceling unit on the cable. These are in-ear headphones with a low level of isolation from external interference. They cost less than others.
- Plug-in wireless. These are in-ear headphones, in which their very design provides good protection against external interference. Due to their miniaturization, the products do not have a large electronic module for noise suppression, its efficiency is rather low.
- These are headphones with partial overlapping of the auricle with cups. Most often found in a wired version.
- Full size closed. They combine the actual cup insulation with an external noise reduction system. As a result, the sound quality can be raised to a significant height. This is the most efficient solution available, available in both wired and wireless versions.
You can choose the best one according to your need and specifications.