Impersonating someone’s identity has become an increasingly major concern for organizations worldwide. Stealing the personal information of the users and invading their accounts are simple tactics used by imposters. During the COVID-19 pandemic, people were seen engaging on social media more often giving away details about their personal information. Engaging with strangers online gave scammers an opportunity to trick consumers into illicit crimes. To put a break to all this, various identity verification services are put in accord to reduce the alarming rate of identity thefts but they are unable to produce successful outcomes in the long run. With innovations surging, the world called for a necessity to establish more secure ways for companies to flourish successfully through enforcing biometric security measures.
Making it Impossible to Impersonate Identities
Online software is used to forge documents and perform data breaches causing a halt in the process of identity verification services. A more advanced approach referred to as biometric screening has caused companies to detect fraudsters at the initial stage of customer onboarding by generating a 3D map of their facial features. As everyone has their own unique set of traits, it majorly reduces the possibility of impersonating an identity with biometric recognition enabling them to remain distinctive from anybody else. Detecting a person’s characteristics allows the companies to establish accuracy against their customers in claiming that who they are dealing with are actually those people or not in real-time.
Various Kinds of Biometric User Authentication Services
With the rise in numerous kinds of innovations, artificial technology has caused the biometric identity system to emerge for verification purposes escalating at a high rate. Digital onboarding can be enabled through three different kinds of biometric ID verification which are listed below:
- Fingerprint recognition: This process utilized a person’s fingerprints and compares them with the already recorded stored sample in the database. This technique has been enabled in many smartphones in order to unlock them.
- Voice Identification: Many telephone-based services recognize clients through voice recognition. As the user speaks, its voice patterns are decoded into understandable machine data and the device, later on, carries out spoken commands for authentication. With Apple Siri and Amazon’s Alexis, voice recognition technology has caught some serious attention in recent times.
- Facial Feature Verification: Analyzing each and every facial detail, from head to face, and matching them with that previously stored information of the same individual can cause the facial feature verification to work in the right manner. Most smartphones are now facilitated with this feature.
Grasping Criminals through Biometric Consent Verification
For capturing fraudsters and identifying real identities, a more modern approach to biometrics has been introduced under the KYC services, known as biometric consent verification. It is a mixture of two processes in which the written consent of the user is taken and their facial features are detected under the biometric screening technology. In this process, the user uploads their picture or records a video in which they are seen holding a written paper displaying their consent of verification. Using the technology of optical character recognition (abbreviated as OCR), the text details are scanned and converted into editable machine-readable data. If all the requirements are met along with the biometric facial recognition, then the user is declared a verified individual.
Benefits Importance of Executing a Biometric Screening
Biometrics are of significant importance in identifying real clients for the business without having any risks of fraud and scams. The reasons upon which biometrics have become a must need to be executed in businesses are:
- High Levels of Security: Securing sensitive information through passwords and pins can prove to be fatal as they possess a chance of vulnerability. Cybercriminals can hack a person’s password and use the information to fulfill illegal tasks. As biometric data is restricted to a particular individual, it helps businesses to maintain a more secure customer onboarding.
- Simple and Convenient: The need to remember different passwords used for various sites can be reduced with biometric security features as users can conveniently log in to their accounts at an easy and fast pace. Moreover, the fear of forgetting passwords is eliminated which lets them enjoy their customer experience.
- Better Protection: Just like in a biometric passport verification, impersonating an identity has become almost impossible. So taking over the assets of somebody else or performing such tasks have become inevitable.
Wrapping it Up
With the introduction of biometric ID card recognition, the rate of identity theft can be minimized in the future. While taking written consent and analyzing the text can also help in detecting fraudsters efficiently. Providing better security features, being time-saving and cost-effective are some of the quality features that businesses would want to provide their customers to enhance their brand image in the global market. Hence, establishing a biometric screening system has become a need for businesses to ensure effective customer onboarding.