Rajiv Gandhi Rural Housing Corporation Limited (RGRHCL) was established in 2000 by the Karnataka government as its Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV). It was conceived to extend affordable housing facilities to the economically weaker sections of the state under the Central and State government housing schemes.
We will look at the various RGRHCL schemes in detail and understand their objectives and eligibility.
Objectives of RGRHCL
The key objectives of RGRHCL are:
- To provide low-cost, yet durable housing units to the backward and economically challenged families of the state.
- Use eco-friendly and budget-friendly building/construction technologies in the rural areas of Karnataka.
- To establish specialised ‘Nirmithi Kendras’ for providing expertise, assistance, and guidance in housing requirements.
- RGRHCL aims to facilitate affordable houses to the needy in a timely and hassle-free manner.
- To ensure transparency and efficiency in the management of the entire system.
RGRHCL Housing Schemes
Some of the popular schemes floated by RGRHCL are:
1. RGRHCL Basava Vasathi Housing Scheme
Cost-effective homes are made available to the beneficiaries under the Basava Vasathi Scheme, wherein the state government provides up to 85% of the construction materials to fulfil the housing needs of Karnataka’s economically weaker families.
Application Process for Basava Vasathi Yojana
One can easily apply for the Basava Vasathi Yojana online through the following steps:
- Visit the official RGRHCL website https://ashraya.karnataka.gov.in/index.aspx.
- Click on the ‘Online Application’ link.
- Fill in the required details and upload the documents as mentioned.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Logging in to RGRHCL portal
To access RGRHCL scheme details online, users must follow these steps:
- Click on the ‘Login’ option on the homepage.
- Select your ‘District’ from the drop-down list.
- Press the ‘Submit’ button.
2. Devraj URS Scheme
The main aim of the Devraj URS Scheme under RGRHCL is to extend affordable housing assistance to the special categories mentioned below:
- Disabled persons
- Leprosy-cured households
- HIV positive residents
- Nomadic tribes
- Citizens affected by riots and exploitation
- Sanitation workers
- Free bonded labourers
The state government provides up to 80% of the home construction materials to the beneficiaries of the scheme.
3. Dr B R Ambedkar Niwas Yojana
The Dr B R Ambedkar Niwas Yojana supports the low-cost housing requirements of people from the reserved categories, such as the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST) communities. The state government offers a subsidy of Rs.1.75 lakh for the construction and purchase of any house under the scheme.
4. Ashraya Yojana
The RGRHCL Ashraya Yojana was an integrated scheme launched in 2002 to identify and rehabilitate the poor households of Karnataka. This was soon followed by the Kudambashree Scheme, which identified and aided families left out from the state government’s decentralised poverty alleviation programmes.
Under this scheme, the Gram Panchayat devises customised micro-projects for each household, while financial contributions are collectively pooled in from the Gram Panchayat, Block, District Panchayat, Central and State government funds.
Documents Required for RGRHCL Ashraya Yojana
Residents of Karnataka who wish to apply for Ashraya Yojana must furnish the following documents to the concerned authorities:
- Aadhar card
- Address proof
- Age proof
- Domicile certificate
- Income proof
- Passport size photographs
Checking RGRHCL Beneficiary Status on Ashraya Portal
Applicants can check their Ashraya Yojana beneficiary status online in the following ways:
- Visit the official RGRHCL Ashraya website.
- Click on ‘Beneficiary Information’ on the front tab.
- Select your ‘District’ and enter the ‘F. Number’.
- Click ‘Submit’.
Beneficiary details will be displayed on the screen.
Viewing Grant Release Details on RGRHCL Ashraya
Those who wish to check their RGRHCL grant release details online can follow the steps given below:
- Visit the RGRHCL Ashraya website.
- You can search ‘Grant Release Details’ based on your area of residence – Rural/Urban.
- Select the year, week and enter the reference number.
- Click ‘View’ to see the details on your screen.
Checking Land Availability Status on RGRHCL
One can check the land availability status online in the following ways:
- Click the ‘Reports’ tab on the homepage.
- Select Rural/Urban under ‘Land Availability Information’ to view district-wise results.
Eligibility for RGRHCL Housing Scheme
Applicants must fulfil certain eligibility criteria to be beneficiaries under the RGRHCL housing schemes. These include:
- The applicant must either be a woman (unmarried), ex-soldier, widow, widower, physically challenged person or senior citizen.
- The annual household income of the applicant should be below Rs.32,000 since the scheme is meant for the economically weaker sections of the state.
- The applicant must not hold a house/land in any part of the state or country.
- People living in huts and those from displaced or homeless families can apply for the scheme.
- People with agricultural holdings are eligible for the scheme.
- The applicant must not be a beneficiary of any other similar scheme.
The Gram Panchayat updates its RGRHCL list annually in the month of January every year. Interested candidates can apply for the RGRHCL schemes during this time. Affordable housing schemes are regularly announced under RGRHCL for the economically weaker residents of Karnataka. But, they have different eligibility criteria and applicants can easily look up the details online before applying for the scheme of their choice.